The Global Library Investment Grant was created in 2021 to assist international libraries as they identify and address challenges that they are facing in the libraries they serve or in their own career development.
With the goal of supporting a variety of needs for librarians around the world, grant funding will be awarded to support projects that fall into the following categories.
In-person Training, such as:
- A professional development opportunity for library staff, either individual or group
- Sponsoring a regional conference or training opportunity
- Subsidizing a training that specifically uses The Librarian’s Manual
Technology Support, including:
- The purchase of equipment for internet access, student use, or the improvement of staff workflow
- Assistance in software purchases or upgrades
- Innovative solutions for technology support
This category provides funds up to $5000 (US), one time per library, for the purpose of collection improvement. Training and access to ACL materials to develop each library’s unique collection can also be provided through the grant.
- Be as thorough and detailed as possible in your application process. Funds are limited and this is a competitive process.
- The same library/librarians cannot receive Spidell support funds more than one time within two calendar years.
- A library’s/librarian’s total funding may not exceed $8000 over 3 consecutive years
- Approval of funding for projects will be as follows:
- Funding application received by Nov 1
- Reviewed by a selection committee and recipients selected
- All applicants will be notified
- Approval timeline
- Applications will be received through Nov 1
- The grant recipients will be announced annually in the Fall
Summer – Application Opens
November 1 – Deadline to Apply
Spring – Grant Recipient(s) Announced
The inaugural awarding of this grant in 2021 totals over $8000 spread between 4 recipients in Botswana, Ghana, Zimbabwe, and Kazakhstan. We were able to fund:
- a librarian’s professional development,
- technology and capital improvements,
- the creation of an institutional repository,
- and aid in the collection development of a Bible Institute.