ACL members are our biggest resource and source of ‘collective wisdom’ in the librarian field.
When an individual joins ACL, they are added to the ACL Member Discussion Google Group. This email group platform gives each member the opportunity to ask library-related questions to the whole membership and collaborate on important topics. It is the desire of the ACL Board that the list is an online medium to facilitate communication between ACL members to encourage professional development and promote a caring community.
- The list is to remain un-moderated to provide freedom for open discussion and to avoid additional expense and staff time required to moderate the discussion list.
- In the event that a posting to the discussion list offends you, please contact the individual posting the offending message directly off-list. (Matt. 18:15)
- lf you prefer to have all messages come to you in one daily email, select the”Digest” option of delivery.
- To send a message to the whole group, address your email to email@example.com.
Foster robust, edifying discussions about library-related topics keeping in mind that we are all image bearers of God. Members represent a variety of Christian traditions. In your conversations, recognize the Christ in all of us.
Consider with grace viewpoints other than your own. Civil discourse in the spirit of Philippians 2:3-5 is expected.
The ACL discussion list serves to fulfill the mission of the association. It is not to be utilized for personal profit.
Avoid comments related to non-library controversial issues, such as doctrinal issues and/or denominational differences.
Professional Email Etiquette:
Please do not use all CAPS.
Clearly and specifically state the subject of your email within the subject line.
Close your message with your name and contact information.
Unless it is necessary to reply to the whole list, send your replies to the sender only.
Use “Reply All” when your reply is intended for the edification of the whole group.
Move discussions off-list if they do not pertain to the whole group.
Limit attachments to individual off-list messages.
Policy for Discussion List Suspension
The ACL Discussion List is an un-moderated forum to provide freedom for open discussion and to avoid additional expense and staff time required to moderate the discussion list.
- If one finds a posting departing from the spirit of the discussion list guidelines, they are encouraged to contact the individual posting the message directly off-list. (Matt. 18:15)
- If the situation does not resolve, members are asked to contact the Home Office at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding the discussion list violation.
The Home Office is authorized to take the following action steps with any reported violation:
- Warnings: Remind the author of the post in question that the guidelines are in place to foster the edification of the whole membership, and warn the offending party that another violation of the guidelines will result in a 30 day suspension from the List.
- Suspensions: In the event of another divergence from the guidelines, suspend the author from the list for 30 days.
- Indefinite suspensions: Repeated and persistent non-compliance may lead to indefinite removal from the discussion list.
February 17, 2023