Cedarville University (Cedarville, Ohio) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director of Library Public Services at the Centennial Library. This position is a full-time, 12-month faculty position reporting to the Dean of Library Services.
The Director supervises the library’s Public Services Department, which is responsible for facilitating the use of library resources, services, and spaces. The Director accomplishes this through overseeing the personnel and operations of the Department (the Research Team, MediaPLEX, and Circulation), managing patron use of library resources, services, and spaces, and promoting patron use through programs, technology, communication, and partnerships.
Overseeing the personnel and operations of the Public Services Department:
The Director supervises the day-to-day operations of the library’s Research Team, Circulation, and MediaPLEX areas. These operations handle the direct use of library resources, services, and spaces by the faculty, staff, and students of Cedarville University. The Director directly or indirectly manages thirty-three employees, including four library faculty, three library staff members, and approximately twenty-six student employees. This includes hiring and training, assigning work and directing tasks, ensuring the delivery of effective service, managing projects, determining priorities, and coordinating with other areas of the library.
Managing use of the library’s resources, services, and space:
The Director ensures that the library usage processes are functioning smoothly so that patrons can have effective access to the library’s print, digital, and audio/visual materials in both in-person and online contexts. This includes oversight of the library’s room reservation system, systems for managing on-line and in-person research support, and library technology. The position provides direct leadership to the Research Team, leading its First Year Instruction program, classroom instruction efforts, research appointment system, and general research assistance service. The Director is also responsible for the library’s website and online service platforms, which play an increasingly important role in delivery of services and resources.
Promoting use of the library’s resources, services, and spaces:
The Director seeks to grow the value of library resources, services, and spaces through expanding their usage by faculty, staff, and students. This is accomplished through leading effective outreach efforts, partnering with other university departments, and managing the library’s public communication efforts. The Director also coordinates the liaison outreach of the Research Team and seeks new ways to proactively engage the campus community.
- ALA-accredited Master of Library Science degree
- Minimum of 3 years professional library experience; academic library leadership experience preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in delivering and/or coordinating library research instruction
- Experience in delivering reference/research services
- Evidence of creativity and innovation in library program development and service delivery
- Working knowledge of the appropriate library technological/organizational networks, systems, and tools
- Commitment to being service-minded
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of success in prior leadership positions
- Demonstrated pattern of positive organizational and interpersonal skills
- Work ethic that emphasizes accuracy, timeliness, detail, and decisiveness
- Proven effectiveness in team leadership and organizational collaboration
- Evidence of regular professional development
- Ability to complete light lifting and move materials
- Ability to review/evaluate materials visually and aurally
- Qualified applicant must be a born-again Christian with a personal commitment to Jesus Christ
- Qualified applicant must agree with and be willing to abide by Cedarville University’s Doctrinal Statement, Community Covenant, and general Workplace Standards.
Job Application Instructions
More information, including the full job posting, is available at https://www.cedarville.edu/job-openings.
Position-specific inquiries should be directed to Joshua Michael, Dean of Library Services (email@example.com)