Technical Services Librarian - Westmont College - CA
The Technical Services Librarian is responsible for the vision, execution, and evaluation of all areas in the Technical Services Department including managing the areas of acquisitions, cataloging, and processing. This position also serves as a liaison to assigned academic and co-curricular departments and provides subject specific instruction, collection development, and research services to meet the needs of students, staff and faculty.
Technical Services and Collection Management
- Plans, develops and implements policies and procedures for the efficient operation of Technical Services and collection development services in the Library.
- Ensures the Library collections and collection policies are current and support the College curriculum, in keeping with the Library’s and College’s strategic plans.
- Oversees and manages the Technical Services Department including: acquisitions, cataloging, and processing.
- Prepares the budget for College departmental allocations and oversees the expenditures.
- Provides leadership and technical expertise in the investigation and application of new methods for the organization of information resources. As appropriate, works creatively with others in the Library to integrate new technologies, systems, and practices in order to provide better service.
- Performs timely and accurate original and copy cataloging for materials in all formats ensuring they conform to national and local standards and practices.
- Applies database maintenance procedures including authority control maintenance and resolving bibliographic errors and problems.
- Maintains statistics for assessment purposes.
- Assists and provides advice and guidance to the College Archivist in organizing and cataloging archival materials.
- Oversees the hiring, training, and supervision of student employees in Technical Services.
- Serves as a member of the liaison team to provide subject specific instruction, collection development, and research services to meet the needs of students, staff and faculty in assigned academic and co-curricular departments.
- Promotes Library resources and services to assigned academic and co-curricular departments.
- Serves as collection development coordinator for assigned liaison areas.
- Provides instruction and research consultations for students, staff and faculty in liaison departments.
- Develops print and online research guides for assigned academic and co-curricular departments.
- Provides course-integrated information literacy instruction.
- Provides virtual and face-to-face research assistance and at the Learning Commons research help desk as assigned.
- Serves on Library, College or professional organization committees.
- Attends workshops, continuing education programs, library conferences and other professional training opportunities.
Educational / Experiential Qualifications
- ALA accredited Master's degree in Library Science (or equivalent);
- Personal affirmation of the Christian mission of Westmont College and the Community Life Statement
- Adherence to Westmont College's behavioral expectations
- Ability to hire and supervise student assistants
- Knowledge of current cataloging standards and procedures
- Understanding of database management software; knowledge of trends and emerging technologies in Technical Services
- Must be available to work evening and weekend hours as required
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
- Self-directed, well organized, and able to meet deadlines