Ryan Library Director - Point Loma Nazarene University - San Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University seeks a visionary and creative leader to serve as the next Ryan Library Director. This position requires commitment to collaboration, student instruction, and campus outreach. The Director is the chief administrator of Ryan Library and reports to the Dean of the Colleges. The Director is responsible for providing leadership and administrative oversight for all operations and makes recommendations regarding the academic budget and personnel within the library and ensures that all aspects of the library operate within institutional policies. The Director is responsible for shaping a shared vision for library resources, services, and facilities in support of the academic programs and mission of the University.
This is a full-time, 12-month administrative position with a concurrent tenure-track faculty appointment.
- Establish a vision for resources, facilities, and services of the library to meet the needs of local and remote students, faculty, and staff
- Plan for and implement improvements to Library aesthetics, furniture and spaces, while collaborating with the Vice President for University Services and Campus Facilities to assure Library facilities are properly maintained
- Develop strategic goals for the library in keeping with the mission of the University
- Supervise the implementation and assessment of all library operations and programs, including the PLNU Archives, the library’s special collections, and online institutional repository
- Develop the library budget plan and manage the approved budget
- Develop and implement library policies and procedures to optimize library support for teaching and research
- Develop and maintain beneficial partnerships with relevant library networks and consortia
- Participate in institutional governance through faculty meetings, committee service, and other appropriate means
- Participate on a regular, if limited, basis in the provision of information literacy instruction and point-of-need research help
- Promote library resources, services and facilities to the University community
- Ensure statistics are gathered and reported, including (IPEDS), surveys, self-studies, and analyses of library resources, services and facilities
- Provide direction to the professional development of library faculty through the approved institutional faculty evaluation processes
- Supervise and annually appraise professional performance of relevant library staff
- Provide support for the professional development of all library faculty and staff
- Recruit highly skilled faculty and staff who possess a high degree of compatibility with the mission of the University
EDUCATIONAL / EXPERIENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
This position requires a graduate degree in library science or a similar degree from an ALA-accredited graduate school and several years of increasingly responsible positions in academic libraries, including supervisory experience. A second master’s degree or doctoral degree is strongly preferred.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
The successful candidate must have the oral, written, and interpersonal skills required for effective leadership within a team-based organization.