Research Assistance Librarian - Liberty University - VA
Join our team of professional librarians at Liberty University’s Jerry Falwell Library! We have a full-time Research Assistance Librarian position available; new graduates are welcome to apply for both positions and our open staff positions. Our beautiful campus resides in Lynchburg, VA near the famous Blue Ridge Mountains and James River, which offer miles of scenic trails and beautiful parks for outdoor enthusiasts. In downtown Lynchburg, walking tours highlight iconic landmarks and monuments that reveal Central Virginia’s rich history. A vibrant arts community and diverse collection of restaurants and markets complement the culture of the historic city.
The Jerry Falwell Library opened a new facility in January 2014 with state-of-the-art features centered on research and collaboration. The 170,000-square-foot building was recently recognized with Library Journal’s Landmark Libraries 2016 Honorable Mention Award for innovative design and spaces. The JFL houses an Automated Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS) that provides on-site storage for up to 450,000 items, and an integrated Customer Service Center delivers benchmark service with circulation, research, and technology assistance. Our popular group study rooms and Active Learning Classroom offer collaborative technology to promote student engagement in learning.
The JFL supports over 14,500 residential students, more than 2,000 faculty, and a thriving online learning community at the world’s largest private, non-profit Christian university. Liberty was founded in 1971 by Dr. Jerry Falwell Sr. with a vision of training Champions for Christ. With the university’s recent reclassification as a Carnegie R3 Doctoral University, and the latest QEP’s focus on research and information literacy, you have an exciting opportunity to join us in creating a culture of student research and success.
- Provides specialized undergraduate research support, instruction, and collection development.
- Contributes to and supports the library's ongoing initiatives to integrate public services collections, and instruction in the dynamic environment of networked-based information delivery
- Collaborates with faculty and campus departments to develop approaches to information literacy and scholarly communication which address student retention and student success
- Participates in both formal and informal professional development opportunities such as conference attendance, professional research and writing, and/or completion of continuing education courses as approved by the University
- Provides professional research support on projects as assigned
- Remains abreast of existing and emerging technologies, processes, products, services and leading industry performance benchmarks
- Works effectively as a team member, embracing and fostering LU's mission
- Must enjoy working with students as customers and as employees
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and climb stairs for extended periods in order to serve customers throughout the building
- Occasionally required to travel to local and campus locations.
Educational / Experiential Qualifications
- MLS degree from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent. Initial faculty rank to be determined based on qualifications and/or experience
- Strong instruction and digital resource production experience required
- Well-developed communications and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adopt emerging practices and utilize technologies relevant to reference and instruction in both digital and conventional contexts.
- Second master's degree preferred
- Professional library experience preferred
- Academic library experience preferred
Job Application Instructions
Apply at: https://pa688.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=72509