Regional Librarian - Western Seminary - OR
Purpose: The Regional Librarian is responsible for all operational aspects of the local San Jose campus extension of the Western Seminary Library and works collaboratively with the rest of the library staff to support a high-quality and seamless library experience for all Western students and staff. Accountability: The Regional Librarian reports to the Director of Library and Information Services and consults on day-to-day matters and scheduling with the Executive Dean, Northern California.
Hours: 15 hours/week. The preferred schedule includes 9am-1pm on Saturdays, with remaining hours scheduled to best meet position responsibilities, including both normal business hours and some evening hours.
- In conjunction with the Director of Library and Information Services, ensure effective operation of the library system with specific responsibilities for library operations at the San Jose campus.
- Work collaboratively with library staff and faculty to provide and promote creative reference and information literacy services at the San Jose campus.
- Work collaboratively with library staff to perform collection development and acquisitions tasks, with a special emphasis on developing and maintaining the local San Jose campus library collection, including cataloging as needed.
- Work collaboratively with library staff to assess library resources, systems, and operations. Required Competencies:
- Adaptable: Adjusts nimbly to obstacles or changing conditions to arrive at the desired goal. Takes initiative to creatively address challenges and create solutions in this modern evolving academic library environment.
- Relational: Relates well with people and represents the library with courteous and professional service.
- Organized: Handles multiple priorities and frequent interruptions, while working with minimal supervision. Thinks strategically about immediate vs future priorities.
- Communicator: Expresses self clearly, effectively, and compellingly in written, verbal, and non-verbal modes. Listens carefully to learn and understand communication from others.
- Detailed-Oriented: Appreciates the importance of efficient library operations and takes pride in completing complex tasks while minimizing errors.
EDUCATIONAL / EXPERIENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- An MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited program is strongly preferred.
- An M.A./M.S. degree in a program area equivalent to those offered by Western is preferred.
- Prior library experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of library organization, concepts, and terminology.
- Self-directed learning ability, especially for computer software and library systems.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office Word and Excel.
- Basic instruction and troubleshooting abilities with library equipment and software, including computers, printers, copier, etc.
- Able to carry up to 25 lbs. up and down stairs.
- Evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the World Evangelical Alliance Statement of Faith and the Seminary’s governing virtues.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Please visit our website for further information and application materials.