Reference Librarian - University of Mary Hardin-Baylor - Temple, TX
The Townsend Memorial Library at the University of Mary Hardin Baylor seeks a Reference Librarian. This is a twelve-month, non-tenure track faculty position. UMHB seeks faculty who are active Christians and dedicated teacher-scholars to prepare students for leadership, service, and faith-informed discernment in a global society. The Townsend Memorial Library serves to support the University Mission by providing a supportive environment for open inquiry as an integral part of effective teaching in a Christian environment. The library also provides access to a wide range of resources along with training in the critical skills necessary to find, evaluate, and synthesize useful materials supporting curricular, vocational, and life-long learning needs. UMHB is conveniently located in Belton, a historic town of 22,000 in the heart of central Texas. Nearby cities are Temple (5 miles), Waco (45 miles), Austin (65 miles), San Antonio (130 miles), and Dallas/Ft. Worth (130 miles). Excellent schools, abundant cultural and recreational opportunities, and a high quality of life are hallmarks of the local community.
Librarians are members of the UMHB faculty and are expected to demonstrate continuous professional development in addition to performing their specific responsibilities. This expectation includes participating in and contributing to departmental, library, and campus-wide committees/working groups and maintaining a broad awareness of current and emerging issues that affect research, teaching, and learning, as well as service to the university and the community.
- Coordinates all reference activities;
- develops and assesses library information literacy program;
- teaches information literacy classes in assigned liaison areas and all-freshman seminar classes;
- develops research guides in assigned liaison disciplines;
- serves as faculty liaison to assigned academic departments;
- participates in collection development;
- manages collection shelving allocation;
- develops, distributes, and analyzes library surveys.
- A master’s degree in library and information studies from an ALA-accredited university.
- Must possess an appreciation for and ability to deal positively and sensitively with a variety of patrons.
- Expertise in information literacy standards with the ability to create engaging presentations, workshops and online materials for use by students, faculty and staff.
- A strong commitment to student-centered library services.
- Excellent teaching and communication skills, a dedication to professional attainment, and a commitment to quality improvement are essential.
- Must be an active and committed Christian.
- Employment experience in an academic library setting, to include reference and/or library instruction.
- A master’s degree in library and information studies from an ALA-accredited university with a concentration/pathway in academic librarianship in preferred.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS