Reference/Instruction Librarian - Mississippi College - MS
Founded in 1826, Mississippi College is a private, comprehensive, Christian university affiliated with the Mississippi Baptist Convention. MC offers over 80 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate programs and has an enrollment of approximately 5,100 students. The main campus is located in Clinton, MS which is about 10 miles west of the capital city of Jackson. Leland Speed Library is student oriented, innovative and encourages professional development. It is also viewed as a vital part of the academic program of the university.
Mississippi College is seeking an energetic librarian to be part of a team providing instructional and reference services to the university community. We are looking for a person that is a team player, flexible, can communicate well and enjoys teaching. This position calls for extensive collaboration with other faculty and university colleagues in the design, delivery, and assessment of our information literacy program. The teaching of information literacy competencies is a major component of this job. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to help shape and influence the information literacy program.
The Reference Librarian is a member of the Reference Services team responsible for providing the Library's instructional and reference functions. This librarian also serves as the liaison to academic departments. This position is a full-time twelve month faculty position without tenure. The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Participates in collaborative efforts with other librarians and university faculty to develop, deliver, and assess information literacy instruction. Prepares online and print research guides to augment instruction and to assist faculty and student researchers.
- Works regular shifts at the reference desk, including one night a week and occasional weekends.
- Serves as liaison to academic departments, providing collection development assistance and outreach to these departments.
- Collaborates with the Reference Coordinator and Library Director, establishes mutually agreeable goals toward improving library systems and services, with periodic evaluation of progress.
- Serves on appropriate university committees.
- Participates in the completion of other library projects as assigned by the Library Director, depending on additional expertise, interests and the needs of the library.
- Participates in developing marketing and outreach materials using various avenues including library tutorials, LibGuides, social media, web pages, and print publications.
Educational / Experiential Qualifications
- Minimum Education Required: MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program.
- Experience with outreach, student engagement, and instruction in an academic library.
- Knowledge of reference and research skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal skills consistent with a commitment to user-center library services, including flexibility, enthusiasm, and approachability
- Ability to manage change and work in a team environment. Willingness to collaborate and communicate with team members and maintain effective working relationships with the public and university colleagues
- Awareness of current concerns and developments in higher education, academic libraries and library technology.
- Ability and desire to learn and implement appropriate technologies
Job Application Instructions
To apply for this position return a cover letter, a completed Mississippi College Faculty Application, and a curriculum vitae to Michelle Finerty, Reference Coordinator, Mississippi College at email@example.com
A Mississippi College Faculty application can be found at http://www.mc.edu/offices/human-resources/how-to-apply/
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled with preference given to applications received by February 23, 2018. Applicants may be asked for professional references and further information after initial reviews. Employment is contingent upon successful background verification.
Start date of June 1, 2018. Non-locals are encouraged to apply. Moving stipend is available.