Public Services Librarian - Southern Wesleyan University - Central, SC
- Manage all responsibilities of circulation services, including patron account inquiries and billing for lost items.
- Design, deliver, and assess instructional sessions.
- Oversee the hiring, training and scheduling of the library’s student workers.
- Provide reference services to the Southern Wesleyan community.
- Determine and communicate circulation policies and procedures under the guidance of the Director of Library Services.
- Process interlibrary loan requests.
- Manage the library’s social media accounts.
- Assist as needed with the operation and management of the Makerspace and Multimedia Lab equipment.
- Participate in library outreach, including promotion, event planning, and collaboration with other campus entities.
- Assist with collection development and deselection projects as assigned.
- Attend faculty meetings and serve on committees as assigned.
- Serve as liaison to assigned academic departments.
- Compile annual statistics and reports related to above areas of responsibility.
- Cover a minimum of one evening shift per week.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. MLS degree or equivalent from ALA accredited institution required.
2. Ability and desire to teach.
3. Demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
4. User-centered approach to librarianship.
5. Effective communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
6. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail are required.
7. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with little supervision.
8. Experience with providing high quality reference services with a variety of print and online resources.
9. Experience with Alma (ExLibris) is preferred.
10. SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals; the ideal candidate will be familiar with library database subscriptions, and have a high comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
1. Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations.
2. Physical/Environmental Requirements:
- Visual acuity necessary to do editorial work, proof documents, and manage files.
- Requires ability to sit for periods of time in an interior office environment. May require infrequent lifting of objects up to 10 pounds, and occasionally items up to 20 pounds.
- Evening and weekend work, as assigned.
3. Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS