Librarian (Discovery Services) - Wheaton College - Wheaton, IL
- Provides leadership for resource description, applying current national and local cataloging rules, standards, and practices; proposes new workflows; and keeps up to date with best practices.
- Performs original and complex-copy cataloging and metadata across all formats.
- Ensures the authority and maintenance of the library catalog, particularly for subject headings; monitors authority reports and resolves database problems; uses system and customized reports to identify maintenance and cleanup projects.
- Serves as subject librarian to assigned academic disciplines.
- Builds relationships with faculty and students; selects library resources; teaches library instruction classes.
- Participates in and contributes to developmental activities as a member of the Library faculty.
- Provides general research assistance at the Research Help Desk in person and virtually, and by appointment.
- Participates broadly on campus as a library faculty member (e.g., faculty governance, student mentoring); engages in ongoing professional development; engages in service to the profession.
- Contributes actively to group objectives and priorities.
- Contributes actively to library-wide mission, plans, and objectives.
- Supervises Resource Description Associate.
- May lead and/or participate in cross-functional library teams.
- Strong commitment to teamwork and collegial relationships, excellent communication skills, and personal flexibility. Engages in outcomes-focused thinking. Desire to continually learn and grow. Committed to modeling these qualities to all library faculty/staff as a member of the library faculty.
- M.L.S. or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited program or foreign equivalent; additional graduate degree(s) preferred.
- Broad interests and intellectual curiosity; aptitude for and commitment to serving broadly on campus as a library faculty member; commitment to the academic success of faculty and students.
- Aptitude, training, and skill in cataloging and metadata; knowledge of emerging cataloging trends and technologies .
- Ability to utilize technology in service of the library’s mission
- Wheaton College is an evangelical Protestant Christian liberal arts college whose faculty and staff affirm a Statement of Faith and adhere to lifestyle expectations of the Wheaton College Community Covenant. Wheaton is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce and student body. We encourage the expression of multiple perspectives within a Christian worldview, inside and outside the classroom. For more information about Wheaton College visit www.wheaton.edu.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS