Instruction Librarian - Union University - Jackson TN
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown and Hendersonville, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls more than 3,200 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 44 states and 25 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence. Union was also recently recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For,” one of only 30 four-year institutions to receive this honor roll designation. Position Description:
This position is responsible for collaborating with teaching faculty to provide instructional services to students. This individual also provides research support to students and faculty as well as assists the Technical Services Librarian with Special Projects in Serials. This is a 12-month professional staff position.
- Collaboratively participating in the planning, development and provision of instruction and reference services
- Initiating information sharing and outreach services with faculty to enhance their classroom instruction and professional research
- Developing collaborative relationships with faculty to enhance student learning and professional scholarship
- Providing targeted instruction on library resources to students in the classroom
- Serving as an embedded librarian for online courses
- Assisting with coverage of the Research Desk as scheduled and serving as a Research Coach
- Collaborating with the Technical Services Librarian on special projects that assist in the effective maintenance of serials and electronic resources Graduation from an accredited college or university with an ALA-accredited master’s degree in library and/or information science and a minimum of two years full-time academic library experience or equivalent is required.
- Demonstrated professionalism, public speaking skills, and comfort with presentation technology as well as excellent communication and customer service skills are also required.
EDUCATIONAL /EXPERIENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to candidates with background or experience in a science-related field or with serials and electronic resources and academic library experience which includes instruction, reference and/or outreach duties. Also desired are candidates that have a demonstrated ability to create online resources, such as LibGuides and tutorials, and those that take initiative and carry out projects to completion.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission and Core Values, and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Interested applicants should visit http://www.uu.edu/humanresources/ and complete the application process.