Instruction and Outreach Librarian - Biola Univeristy, La Mirada, CA
Biola University Library seeks a dynamic, innovative, and creative librarian to join their dedicated team of librarians and information professionals to advance the Library’s mission of service, stewardship and service.
Reporting to the Head of Public Services, the Instruction and Outreach Librarian coordinates instructional services at Biola University Library and works collaboratively with a team of librarians and faculty to position the library as a key partner in the development of student learning. S/he will coordinate the library’s outreach efforts to improve channels for instructional collaboration and the integration of information literacy into university courses and programs.
Biola University is a Protestant, theologically conservative, private Christian university located in Southern California. Biola is a community where all faculty, staff, and students are professing Christians. Biola faculty are committed to the integration of faith and learning and endorse the university’s doctrinal statement. Biola is also committed to diversity and seeks employees who can contribute to multicultural understandings.
Information Literacy and Instruction
- Provide leadership in developing, expanding, assessing, and promoting a curriculum-integrated information literacy instruction program.
- Participate in teaching face-to-face and online library instruction sessions for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Develop guides, tutorials, and learning objects that support the mission and vision of the university and the integration of information literacy into the curriculum.
- Collect statistics and assess the library instruction program to monitor progress and evaluate its effectiveness.
- Provide in-person and online reference service to students, staff, faculty, alumni, and other members of the Biola community.
- Collaborate with other Public Services librarians and staff to implement and promote public service policies and activities.
- Assist with marketing library services and products.
Liaison Activities and Collection Development
- Participate in the Liaison Librarian Program, which includes working with faculty to select and weed library materials in assigned areas.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with Biola faculty in assigned academic departments to promote library resources and support faculty research.
- Promote the intellectual growth of the Biola community and serve as a Christian scholar who integrates service, teaching, and scholarship with one’s commitment to the Christian faith.
- Participate in university governance by serving on campus-wide task forces and committees; serve on various library teams or task forces as assigned.
- Contribute to the field of librarianship through reading professional literature, attending workshops and conferences, serving in professional organizations, or conducting research for publications.
- Pursue promotion in librarian rank and salary at appropriate times.
- MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent graduate degree in a related field
- Experience related to information literacy instruction, reference, and research support
- Demonstrated aptitude for teaching information literacy skills to undergraduate and graduate students
- Demonstrated understanding of instructional design, information technologies, and assessment as it applies to information literacy instruction
- Strong public service and interpersonal skills; ability to work as a member of a team in a collegial environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Second master’s degree or doctoral degree in a discipline relevant to Biola’s undergraduate or graduate programs
- Bachelor or master’s degree in the fields of science, engineering or health
- Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate experience developing and assessing information literacy instruction programs in an academic setting; experience with emerging technologies; and creativity, initiative, and self-direction in developing resources and services.
Job Application Instructions
Apply online by submitting a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, a one-page testimony of your faith, and contact information for three professional references at https://biola.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=960. After review by a search committee, promising candidates will be contacted. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Questions about this position may be addressed to Juliana Morley, Head of Public Services, at email@example.com.