Health and Life Sciences Librarian - Baylor University - TX
Come be part of the Research and Engagement Team at Baylor University Libraries! As the Health and Life Sciences Librarian, you will be actively involved in outreach and engagement, research services, teaching and learning, collections, acquiring subject knowledge, and developing scholarly communications for the health and life science departments specifically and the university community in general.
To learn more about the Baylor University Libraries and Baylor University, please visit us online at baylor.edu/lib and baylor.edu
Baylor University is a private Christian university and a nationally ranked research institution, consistently listed with highest honors among The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For.” Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continually operating university in Texas. The university provides a vibrant campus community for over 16,000 students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Baylor is actively recruiting new faculty with a strong commitment to the classroom and an equally strong commitment to discovering new knowledge as we pursue our bold vision, Pro Futuris. (baylor.edu/profuturis/).
- The Health and Life Sciences Librarian serves as a team member of the Research and Engagement department and is actively involved in outreach and engagement, research services, teaching and learning, collections, acquiring subject knowledge, and developing scholarly communications for the health and life science departments specifically and the university community in general.
- Provides assistance involving subject knowledge or other specialized areas of expertise such as data management, repository services, scholarly communication, and digital scholarship to meet the information and research needs of faculty, staff, and students.
- Analyzes trends in the research programs and curricula of assigned units and keeps current with the literature and scholarship of the disciplines.
- Collaborates with colleagues within and beyond the Libraries to plan, deliver, assess, and improve library teaching and learning initiatives within the context of the larger curriculum of the university
- Designs and implements pedagogically appropriate instruction in a variety of modes, methods, and materials and integrates information literacy concepts and skills into curricula, courses, assignments, and learning experiences
- Works closely with assigned departments to develop an understanding of the ongoing needs for library resources and builds collections to support research and teaching needs and uses collections to foster relationships with library users
- Pursues professional development opportunities through local and national conferences, meetings, and workshops and involvement in professional organizations
- Engages in library-wide initiatives through committees and task forces
- Meets University and Library expectations for service and scholarship, including participation in the academic library community through research, presentations, and writing on topics related to areas of responsibility
EDUCATIONAL / EXPERIENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science or equivalent combination of education and professional experience
- Understanding of scientific research processes and the research data lifecycle
- Knowledge of a wide range of STEM information sources and technologies
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: biological, cognitive, consumer, family, health, life or psychological sciences; plus competency to serve clients in a variety of other scientific fields
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and a diverse clientele in a service-oriented, research-intensive environment
- Ability to communicate and work effectively in an academic setting, with demonstrated skills in oral communication, written communication, and interpersonal interaction
- Effective organizational, teaching, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity, and initiative in one’s work
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and competing priorities
- Commitment to continual development of professional knowledge and skills
- Post-secondary academic degree in biological, cognitive, consumer, family, health, life or psychological science and experience with STEM research
- Experience in an academic or research library including experience in collection development and public services and in developing partnerships with academic departments and other campus units
- Experience with grant development, data management, and scholarly communications
- Experience with geographic information systems, data visualization, or other digital scholarship tools
- Familiarity with the concepts, goals, and methods of information literacy
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Please submit a letter of application, current curriculum vitae, and transcripts. Include names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references. Materials should be submitted electronically to Sha Towers, Search Committee Chair, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed beginning 7/25/2017 and will be accepted until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by 8/25/2017.
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, marital status, pregnancy status, military service, genetic information, and disability. As a religious educational institution, Baylor is lawfully permitted to consider an applicant’s religion as a selection criterion. Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply.