Coordinator of Reference Services - Mississippi College - MS
Mississippi College is seeking an energetic Coordinator of Reference Services to be part of a team providing instructional and reference services to the university community. We are looking for a person that is a team player, flexible, can communicate well and enjoys teaching. This position calls for extensive collaboration with other faculty and university colleagues in the design, delivery, and assessment of our information literacy program. The teaching of information literacy competencies is a major component of this job. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to help shape and influence the information literacy program.
Founded in 1826, Mississippi College is a private, comprehensive, Christian university affiliated with the Mississippi Baptist Convention. MC offers over 80 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate programs and has an enrollment of approximately 5,100 students. The main campus is located in Clinton, MS which is about 10 miles west of the capital city of Jackson. Leland Speed Library is student oriented, innovative and encourages professional development. It is also viewed as a vital part of the academic program of the university.
The Coordinator of Reference Services is the leader of the Reference Services team of four librarians who provide the library’s instructional and reference functions. This librarian also serves as a liaison to academic departments. This position is a full-time twelve month faculty position without tenure. The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Coordinates faculty requests for faculty instruction. Information literacy classes are scheduled and conducted as requested, with learning outcomes appropriate to the requests from the teaching faculty.
- Manages scheduling of the reference desk hours for library faculty and staff.
- Coordinates the scheduling of three electronic classrooms and one conference room for library instruction, full semester courses and meetings.
- Compiles reference and instruction statistics and writes annual report.
- Initiates and facilitates monthly reference librarian/staff meetings.
- Participates in collaborative efforts with other librarians emphasizing information literacy instruction in the use of electronic and print resources.
- Responsible for keeping information current on all instructional and directional web pages maintained by the library. Recommends enhancements to web pages for instructional and directional purposes.
- Collaborates with the reference team and Library Director, establish mutually agreeable goals toward improving library systems and services, with periodic evaluation of progress.
Eductional / Experiential Qualifications
- Minimum Education Required: MLS/MLIS from ALA-accredited program.
- Experience Required: Three (3) years of progressively responsible professional library experience.
- Experience Preferred: Knowledge of the principles and practices of library science as applied to the operation of academic libraries. Evidence of effective teaching, leadership and supervisory skills and experience. Experience with electronic information services and library systems and their applications for reference and instruction. Experience with and strong commitment to reference services, library instruction and information literacy principles.
- Reports to: Library Director.
- Evidence of positive leadership ability.
- Excellent organizational skills and verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated teaching skills.
- Experience with online reference resources.
- Evidence of initiative and flexibility with ability to work independently and cooperatively in a changing environment.
- Ability to manage change and work in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and maintain effective working relationships with the public and colleagues.
- Working knowledge of LibGuides.
Job Application Instructions
To apply for this position return a cover letter, a completed Mississippi College Faculty Application, and a curriculum vitae to Heather Moore, Special Collections Librarian, Mississippi College at email@example.com
A Mississippi College Faculty application can be found at
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue http://www.mc.edu/offices/human-resources/how-to-apply/until the position is filled with preference given to applications received by February 23, 2018. Applicants may be asked for professional references and further information after initial reviews. Employment is contingent upon successful background verification.
Start date of June 1, 2018. Non-locals are encouraged to apply. Moving stipend is available.