Assistant Library Director and Public Services Coordinator - Mount Vernon Nazarene University - Mount Vernon, OH
Mount Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU) is an intentionally Christian teaching university for traditional-age students, graduate students, and working adults who seek opportunities to learn and grow in an academic community of faith. The University provides the context for a transformational experience through excellent academics, service opportunities, caring relationships, and a nurturing spiritual and social environment. Faculty, staff, and students are challenged to achieve their highest potential, to become increasingly Christ-like and to make a difference in their world through lifelong service.
The University seeks a full-time Assistant Director of Library and Public Services Coordinator for the Thorne Library on the Mount Vernon main campus. The position manages all aspects of public services and assists with the operations of the Thorne Library. The Assistant Library Director and Public Services Coordinator supervises all library student assistants. This position represents the public face of the Thorne Library to the University and the broader community. A successful Assistant Library Director and Public Services Coordinator will be a creative, dynamic, and collaborative individual who is passionate about providing access to information and who is committed to excellent customer service. The work of the Assistant Library Director and Public Services Coordinator will enhance and encourage access to information, ideas, and knowledge by both engaging the library’s community and by refining the library’s systems and processes.
The position reports to the Director of the Library and is available immediately, upon appointment of a successful candidate. The University pay grade for this position is “D”. A full complement of benefits is provided including a health care plan, retirement contributions, and tuition assistance, each subject to associated waiting periods. The candidate will also receive generous holidays, and vacation and sick days earned on an accrual basis.
Oversee the following areas:
- Circulation (including OhioLINK PCIRC services, Inter-library Loan [ILL] activities using OCLC WorldShare, and processing of overdue fines)
- Course reserves
- Collection maintenance (including stack maintenance, book repair, and inventory)
- Community engagement through the library’s online presence and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Supervise student assistants:
- Set, monitor, and revise student work schedules
- Manage project and task assignments for student assistants
- Maintain student time cards and process payroll for student assistants
- Oversee the processing of new library materials
- Coordinate the design and maintenance of display cases and bulletin boards
- Maintain procedural manual
- Verify quality control is being maintained on projects
- Monitor safety and maintenance in the library facility
- Compile library statistics
- Assist with the development and implementation of library programs and events (book readings, library week, author signings, etc.)
- Assist in providing circulation and first-level reference services (as needed)
- Assist with the design and maintenance of the library website
- Assist with the maintenance of the integrated library system
- Collaborate with The Hub regarding the circulation of laptops and other technology
- Act as resource person for daily operations and for the Director of the Library in his/her absence
- Make recommendations to the Director of the Library regarding supply purchases and areas of improvement
- Keep abreast of trends in public services or information delivery across academic libraries and apply acquired knowledge and expertise to improve workflows and services
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MLS/MLIS degree preferred
- Library working experience preferred
- Supervisory experience, preferably with college students
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS