Assistant Librarian: Reference and Information Literacy - Trinity Western University - Langley, British Columbia
The Assistant Librarian: Reference and Information Literacy provides reference/information services as a member of the library’s reference team. The librarian will serve as the primary liaison with the university’s School of Nursing, School of Human Kinetics, and other assigned academic departments. The librarian also manages TWU’s virtual reference service commitments.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Provide reference/information services at the Research Help Desk on a scheduled basis, including evenings and weekend work, as required.
- Expand, develop, and manage information literacy initiatives across the university’s curriculum, both undergraduate and graduate. This includes individual and group orientation and instruction related to the Library and its various resources and collections.
- Act as primary liaison librarian to the School of Nursing and School of Human Kinetics, providing assistance with:
- Specialized orientation and information literacy sessions
- Knowledge translation/thesis literature reviews
- Specialized research assistance in advanced databases, grey literature, and other research tools
- Manage TWU’s participation in AskAway, B.C.’s academic virtual reference service, by coordinating staff and resources for the program; will be the local administrator for the virtual reference software and primary service provider.
- Develop and maintain web-based and print reference and instructional materials.
- Contribute to the ongoing development and evaluation of library collections, in all formats.
- Serve on library/university committees as directed by the University Librarian.
- Pursue professional development opportunities.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and experience in providing reference services in both face-to-face and electronic mediums.
- Excellent database, Internet, and print reference research skills. Familiarity with product of major database vendors (ex. EBSCO, Ovid, and Proquest) an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in planning, developing, managing, and assessing information literacy programs.
- Experience in teaching information literacy and research design courses, workshops, and individual sessions.
- Familiarity with specialized resources and literature in Nursing, Human Kinetics, and allied fields is highly desirable.
- Competence with computer applications generally used in a business environment, such as MS Office.
- Strong leadership and time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Evening and weekend work may be necessary.
Driven and inspired by the idea of positively impacting the various marketplaces of life through the development of godly Christian leaders by serving the Trinity Western University community.
Warm-hearted, dedicated, committed, and mature evangelical Christian with a keen desire to serve in family, church, work, and community. A firm commitment to TWU’s mission, Core Values, Statement of Faith, and Community Covenant. Strength of character and reputation, a pleasant personality with a positive and friendly attitude in the midst of a very busy and challenging atmosphere.
Servant-Leader Way of Life: Act in a manner that exemplifies Jesus Christ in all on and off-campus contacts thereby living out the servant leadership mission of the university and contributing effectively towards achieving the institutional and Kingdom goals of the organization.
Education: ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (or equivalent). An undergraduate degree in nursing, human kinetics, or a related science discipline is highly desirable.
Experience: 2 – 3 years in a library or office environment required.
Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Full description and application instructions are available: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=1772bc09-3d0c-485a-aa42-69dc6106ac8f&ccId=2465155412_6591&type=MP&lang=en_CA