Acquisitions & Periodicals Supervisor - Regent University - Virginia Beach, VA
Under the direction of the Head of Technical Services, this position serves as Supervisor of the Acquisitions and Periodicals/Bindery section of the department. This position coordinates and is responsible for the work in this area.
Essential duties include:
- Order, check-in and add to Client Center as necessary books, eBooks, and other resources as requested via Amazon, GOBI, EBSCO, ProQuest, and vendor direct purchasing.
- Maintain bibliographic, order and check-in records in Sierra that pertain to periodicals and eResources.
- Create order records and order new periodicals and eResources from vendors or publishers.
- Work with the Library Business Manager to pay invoices for periodicals, databases, and resources after checking against our order records.
- Check in periodicals and serials on a daily basis, and claim overdue periodical issues on a weekly basis.
- Oversee and process new periodicals for current shelves, and maintain in-house storage of periodicals with limited retention.
- Prepare items for commercial binding, and maintain contact with local bindery service for timely pick-up and receipt of materials as necessary.
- Prepare student dissertations and theses for binding as deemed necessary.
- Bar code and create item records for bound periodicals that are new or returning from the bindery.
- Process title and holdings changes for current and bound periodicals.
- Maintain holdings changes for periodicals in OCLC.
- Schedule duties for staff assigned to the periodicals area, and provide monthly department work statistics.
- Close off periodicals or titles that are cancelled or have ceased publication.
- Manage our electronic journal holdings in the Client Center.
- Manage print and electronic periodical and database information in online services, such as SerialsSolutions and Summon.
- Participate in committee work and special functions in the library and outside the library.
- Serve as backup to support other sections of Technical Services.
- College education required
- Library experience in the Technical Services area of an academic institution preferred
- Technical expertise, especially managing online resources
- General knowledge and understanding of a library’s acquisitions process
- Stamina to stand for extended periods of time, to lift up to 25 lbs. of library materials and to use a computer workstation for several hours at a time Candidate must have:
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ and an acceptance of Regent’s Statement of Faith
- A quality of excellence in work
- Ability to reflect a Christ-like attitude when working with vendors, co-workers, and patrons
- Ability to plan and organize work effectively in order to maintain an even workflow
- Commitment to Regent's core values of Excellence, Innovation and Integrity
JOB APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS