Commission for International Library Advancement
Founded in 1989 by the Association of Christian Librarians, CILA was charged with developing a strategic plan for assisting Christian libraries in other countries.CILA consists of members of the ACL who are appointed by the Board of Directors. CILA members develop and direct projects that advance the goals of both ACL and CILA.
The mission of the Commission for International Library Advancement (CILA) is to serve libraries within Christian institutions of higher learning primarily outside North America by providing training and support for specific needs in order for these librarians to advance library service within their communities.
- To cultivate strategic partnerships with international organizations and educational institutions for the advancement of librarianship and libraries;
- To encourage, equip and coordinate ACL members for service to other libraries;
- To assist libraries in need by identifying and addressing challenges.
Dorothy Spidell, ACL founding mother "...I've enjoyed a wonderfully fulfilling life of service and
adventure. I wouldn't exchange any experience in any country where the Lord has led in overseas
library ministry." To continue this work that she was deeply involved in as a member, Dorothy Spidell
bequeathed $100,000 of her estate to the furthering of the mission of CILA. Read more
- The Librarian's Manual, a text for beginning librarians in developing countries.
CILA fulfills its mission through projects such as:
- Training seminars — which cover cataloging, ordering, book repair, and other library operations — have been conducted in the Caribbean, Africa, Bolivia, and Asia.
- Consulting and assistance — to libraries in Barbados, India, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Nigeria, Puerto Rico, Romania, Russia, Thailand, and Trinidad — have been provided by ACL volunteers.
Haiti Book Project
What started as a vision to raise $2000 to provide a 30-book Haitian Creole collection to ten community schools throughout the earthquake and hurricane-ravaged country of Haiti, began a ripple effect beyond our hope. The Lord provided abundantly! Read more
To participate in CILA's activities, please use the online CILA Volunteer Form. This form, only available to members, is used to show your interest levels, skills, and previous experience. You can update your information on the form whenever and as often as you would like. The CILA team will then use that information to match your information with upcoming trips.
For more information, please contact: Janelle Mazelin, Executive Director
Pledge your support
Part of ACL's budget goes to support CILA, but institutions and individuals interested in supporting any of CILA's projects may do so through a contribution to the Foundation for the Advancement of Christian Libraries (FACL). Contributions to FACL are tax deductible and should be sent to:
Foundation for the Advancement of Christian Libraries
P.O. Box 4
Cedarville, OH 45314